Sunday, September 5, 2010

Plain Filthy

I used James 1:22 in my first post the other night, "Love in Motion." So I thought it was rather interesting that my pastor did his sermon this morning on James 1:19-27. He spoke about how we get rather used to the filth we already have in our lives, and we become ok with it. "My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires. Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save you" (v. 19-21).

The thing about filth is, even if you just have a little bit in your life, you qualify as filthy. We tend to see sin in varying degrees: a little white lie is not so bad, but murder, well that's downright filthy. However, if God's standard is perfect, a white cotton sheet if you will, even a speck of dirt mars the entire thing. It's now filthy, worthless, in need of a good washing. See, not all filth is obvious, and it requires a vigilant eye to keep little specks from becoming obscene stains.

After such a rousing sermon this morning, I admit I was on a bit of a God high, feeling really pretty holy (red alert!). I was blasting my Christian music on the way to the gas station to fill up the Oldsmobile (Cutlass Supreme, please suppress your jealousy). I was looking for a free pump, and spotted one... just as another lady across from me spotted the same pump. So what did I do? Sped up and pulled in ahead of her, of course! Yes, I had already forgotten what I had learned this morning. I added another small piece of litter to the ever-growing pile of filth that makes our world polluted in more ways than one.

And that's the thing about filth, it can start out small, but if we don't keep an eye on it, it becomes a dump. So if you happen to see me out and about, and I'm not keeping an eye on my filth situation, please say a prayer for me... sometimes it takes a good slap in the face to see how stubborn you are.

1 comment:

  1. So true!! I have to remind myself that sins are all the same to God and even a small speck will separate us from Him.... thanks so much for this post! I needed to read that, and I probably will need to read it again in like 2 minutes. =)

    ReplyDelete