Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Credit Where Credit is Due

I love my church. I go to HopeWeaver Community Church in Plant City, Florida. One of the things I love most about my church is my pastor, Randy Humphrey. You might never have heard of him. His name isn't familiar like Rob Bell, or Joel Osteen... but you just wait.

One of the best things about Pastor Randy is that he welcomes questions. Tonight, after Bible study, I asked him if he thought as I do, that people give the devil too much credit. Often, I find we blame "the enemy" for a lot of things that happen in our lives, when really the actual cause is our own stupidity. God gave us free will; included in that will is the ability to make bad decisions. Also, it is important to remember that when it comes to God and Satan, it's not an equal opposites thing. Satan used to be an angel, therefore, he is way less powerful than God (and probably doesn't like being reminded of that). He can't be more than one place at once, and he certainly didn't "make" you do anything (trust me, he's got bigger fish to fry).

When it comes to being omnipotent, omnipresent, and omniscient, there's only One. Let's give credit where credit is due, and stop blaming our problems on the devil. Yes, he does come to "steal and kill and destroy" (John 10:10), but Jesus came "that they may have life, and have it to the full."

No comments:

Post a Comment