Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Distractions

Luke 10:38-42
As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet listening to what he said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, "Lord, don't you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!"
"Martha, Martha," the Lord answered, "you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her."

Do you ever get distracted? I know I - oh look, a dust bunny! I kid, but in all seriousness, distractions are a big thing for me. I meant to read my Bible, but I got distracted by a tv show... I meant to practice guitar, but I got distracted by a jar of nutella... I meant to write a new blog, but I got distracted by online mahjong. You get the idea.

Sometimes my life is one big distraction. On paper, it doesn't look like I've got too much going on, but when it comes down to it, I feel like I don't have time for anything. Or rather, I'm not spending enough time on the important things. I don't know why I let trivial pursuits get in the way of the bigger picture. You'd think it would have been something I'd have learned by now. But I still do it. I still lay my head down at the end of the day, thinking about all the things I wanted to do and how many I actually did.

Are you like that at all? Maybe you're not. Maybe you've got it all together and always get all the checks on your to-do list. For the rest of you distracted procrastinators like me, hang in there. Don't let the small things get in the way of the big. Keep your focus on the One who's driving you to do it, and the rest will come along... eventually.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE that last verse!!! "you're worried about many things, but really only one thing matters".... ok, so I possibly paraphrased a bit on that one, but I needed to read this!! I also, think i will read it again... by the way, your Nutella will no longer be an issue of distraction. I ate the entire jar. Sorry! =)

    ReplyDelete