Wednesday, March 9, 2011

What Are You Giving Up?

Today is Ash Wednesday, and the beginning of Lent for many Christians. Lent marks the beginning of a season for abstinence, sacrifice, and reflection in the days leading up to Easter Sunday. Though not raised Catholic, or any other denomination that observes Lent, I have long respected the tradition of abstaining from something in order to get one's spiritual life back on track.

This year, when thinking about things I could give up, I ran the gamut from Facebook to meat to diet coke. I wondered if I could go 40 days without watching TV. I started racking my brain so hard wondering what I would give up for Lent this year. Then I remembered Psalm 51.

You do not delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it; you do not take pleasure in burnt offerings. My sacrifice, O God, is a broken spirit;a broken and contrite heart  you, God, will not despise" (v. 16-17).

I had totally missed the point of Lent. It isn't about what you give up, even though the sacrifice should be a difficult one. The point of this season is to bring you closer to God. Empty rituals have never been able to do that. Many people observe Lent, and I'm all for that. I especially applaud those who are doing the 40 days of water. But this year, I decided the best thing for me was to not focus on giving anything up. Rather, I've made a commitment to God to spend time with Him every day of Lent. I know that doesn't sound like such a big deal to some, but for me it is. My quiet time has been rather non-existent as of late, and I've been treating God like an old friend I just don't have time for right now rather than the King of my heart.

So, how about you? What are you giving up (or not giving up) for Lent? Either way, I pray this is a blessed season for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment