Friday, March 18, 2011

I Need a Doctor

I drink the Glee Kool Aid. There, I said it. The show can be a bit racy and inappropriate at times, but I love the way the creators tackle difficult subjects. So far they've covered sex, religion, and bullying, just to name a few. (And with a wonderfully fun soundtrack, no less!) This week's episode saw a big milestone for one of the main characters, who happens to be a homosexual teenager. I'm sure it caused quite a stir in the Christian circles that watch the show, but here's my question: should it, really?


Personally, I'm glad Glee takes on tough subjects like teen homosexuality. I think the demographic it targets needs to know that there are kids who are different from them, and that it's not ok to make fun of those kids. You don't have to agree with the lifestyles and beliefs of all the people around you, but it shouldn't make you shy away from them.


One of my favorite things about the ministry of Jesus Christ on this earth was that he attracted a motley crew of people. Did He let what those people did affect the way He treated them? Absolutely not. Jesus didn't look at those people and see definitions: whore, tax collector, leper, thief. Sure, He knew their past (and our present!). But our God is not a surface-dweller. He looks beneath what outwardly "defines" us (1 Sam. 16:7). He sees the broken and wounded soul that needs mending only He can give.


I'm not trying to outline what's right and wrong here. I think the Bible does that well enough. I am, however, quite exasperated at the "Christian" attitude toward the gay community. From where I stand, it's not very Christlike. We don't look at the drug addict and say, "Hey, you have to get clean and sober; then I can talk to you about Jesus." We don't cast heterosexual couples out of our churches when we find out they're living together without being married (at least, I hope no church does that!). Then, why of all things, do we shy away from the issue of homosexuality like it's the unforgivable sin?


From Matthew 9:

When the Pharisees saw this, they asked his disciples, “Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?”
On hearing this, Jesus said, “It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. But go and learn what this means: ‘I desire mercy, not sacrifice.’ For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.”


Sinners, friends. This means all of us. Together. Not the mediocre sinner and the severe sinner. In the hierarchy of Christ there are only 3 categories: the Savior, the sinner, and the saved. No one gets preferential treatment based on age, gender, race, creed, or sexual orientation. 


I don't claim to be an expert in any field. I just speak from the heart. If you're looking to go deeper on the issue of homosexuality, however, I recommend Love is an Orientation by Andrew Marin. I do, however, want to leave you this week with a challenge. To heed the words of Jesus, "By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another" (John 13:35).

3 comments:

  1. Amen! You are so on target.... =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey I followed a link to your blog from SCL a while back and have read a few of your posts. This is one is great! I have to say though that it is very challenging to my old-school fundamentalist mindset. The mindset that says that people should clean themselves up when they join the church. But you are so right. Jesus didn't put that qualification on anyone. And I know there have been times in my own Christian walk when I have sinned, even sometimes severely, and I was never kicked out. So I shouldn't have that attitude towards homosexuality either, understanding that their sin and my sin are the same to God.

    Thanks for challenging my heart today. My wife and I have often pondered our attidudes towards homosexuals and have tried to commit to showing them love and respect. Still, though it's not always easy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. JG, thanks for your honesty! Loving people the way Christ does is usually a challenge for me, especially because they make it so hard sometimes! I just hope I can show a little of the grace and mercy that were extended to me to others (if that makes sense). Thanks for stopping by! :)

    ReplyDelete