Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Honest to Blog...


Honest to Blog: Five Reasons Why I Have Trouble Updating Regularly.

1. This is a spiritual blog. I feel the goal is to enlighten, encourage, or entertain while containing some nugget of spiritual truth or lesson I’ve learned personally that might benefit a would-be reader. Some days, I just don’t feel I have that to give, and rather than write something for the sake of updating, I’d rather stay silent out of fear of doing more harm than good.

2. I’m lazy. This is a half-truth. I am lazy; but the truth is, after logging in 8+ hours at a cubicle and driving 40-70 minutes in rush hour traffic each way, sometimes the last thing I want to do when I get home is write a worthwhile blog entry. (Not to mention walking the dog, cooking dinner, etc.)

3. Fear of failure. One of my favorite bloggers (and the reason I started writing this blog), Jon Acuff says, “It’s better to be 90% perfect and published than to be 100% and stuck in your head.” (I'm pretty sure I paraphrased this because I couldn't find the exact page of his blog where he mentions it.) While I wholeheartedly agree, I don’t always take this advice. Though I know my readership is but a handful of people (mostly the BFF and a few of my Facebook friends who stumble upon the link), I have a fear of not being good enough to post something readable.

4. Forgetfulness. I’m not kidding. I have the memory span of Drew Barrymore in 50 First Dates. Someone seriously needs to invent a real-life pensieve. If they did, I’d never want for blog entries or songs or ideas to make the world a better place. My inner monologue throughout the day is filled with so much good stuff, but by the time I get home and open my Macbook, I have no recollection of what that great blog idea was.

5. I’ve already forgotten my fifth point (see point 4). In all seriousness, this last point should probably be my lack of discipline. I’m smart, passionate, and well-spoken, but one of the many things I lack is discipline. I’ll do really well on a diet for the first two weeks and then start to peter out. I think I got to about February in my attempts to read the Bible in a year. I think it’s something that I learned growing up that I swiftly need to unlearn.

Anyway, I’m sure I could add much more to this list, but the point was not to make excuses. I wanted to give you a little view into my inner psyche and why I set myself up for failure at times. I’m trying to get better on all these points, but I’m just like everyone else- a work in progress. Also, perhaps I need to reformat the blog a little bit more. I’ll still do the weekly (*gulp*) spiritual lesson essays, but maybe on other days, I’ll add quick little nuggets- a verse, song lyric, poem, video, etc. that stays true to what this blog means to me: finding ways to live God’s love in motion.

1 comment:

  1. You are like so many of us, consistency escapes us. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete